About Me

My photo
Garden Grove, CA, United States
Computer Geek: Grandpa: Loves to cook: Dart thrower

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Brisket and BBQ Beans

It is now 20:30 (8:30 PM for you people who don't know how to tell time using a 24 hour clock) and the brisket is on the smoker.


Brisket is ready to go on the smoker
The brisket is coated with kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, papriki, pepper, and sugar. I gave it love and massaged it gently using rubber gloves.

Once the fire was started, mesquite charcoal, I put the brisket in the smoker fat side up, placed some soaked mesquite chips on the fire, made sure the pan I have in the cooking part had some water and 2 heads of garlic.


The vents are set and the temp will be monitored to stay at 225. Now it is time for slow cooking and monitoring the fire and smoke. Stay tuned as this  blog will continue for a lot of hours and I still have my sauce to make and the beans to prepare.


The BBQ sauce is now simmering. I make my sauce with ketchup, and.....well if I tell you the rest of the mixture I will have to kill you and cyber space is a big place so use your own imagination. Anyway it is simmering. 


I will start the beans around 02:00 so until then it is tending to the fire, placing more chips on the fire and maintaining the 225 temp.


I have one batch of sourdough going through the rise and the second batch going through the proofing stage. I plan on making sourdough rolls to go with the rest I am preparing.


Fire still holding at 230-225 and just the right amount of smoke to get that ring that all good BBQr's strive for. And it is only 21:45!


The first batch of rolls came out of the oven but I left them in a little too long as shown below,
A little brown but the insides are still good. I think they will work out great as the juices from the meat and my BBQ sauce should soften them up a little bit. Hopefully the next batch will be better as I reset the timer on my phone to compensate.


2 more hours and then I can start the beans and wrap the brisket in foil so stay tuned you 3 readers of this blog.


I ran out of smoking chips so I thought I would prepare the beans and wrap the brisket up.
I cooked some bacon ends and pieces and put them in the beans with my other seasonings, BBQ sauce, honey. brown sugar, and other stuff.
In the bacon grease I wilted some onions and fresh garlic. Once done I put them into my beans.
Here are the beans all ready to go into the smoker with the brisket resting on top of them on a rack.
And here are the beans and the brisket going to sit in the smoker for a few, almost 12, hours. It is 01:55 now and now I get to take short cat naps for 30 minutes until my alarm goes off for me to get up from watching Young Frankenstein (or napping) to check on the fuel and temp. Later on I will start the other batch of bread.


The second batch of bread is doing it's rise thing and the fire has been fed. It is now 07:40 and about 6 more hours to go.


The second batch of bread is out of the oven and it looks a lot better:
All that is left is to grab the meat and beans out of the smoker and head on over to my daughter's to gobble it up.


All went well as there was no leftover brisket and just a wee bit of beans left. Here we are scarfing up the food. By the way Al, great pasta salad as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment